Go to www.novels that rock.weebly.com for the latest Informatio!!

Sunday, April 22, 2012

Queen of the Undead is finished!

I am so happy to announce I have finally finished Queen of the Undead, Book III in The Vamp Saga! Yay! Break out the bubbly! Not...I still have to proofread it before I send it to my editor but if everything goes according to plan, it will be released before the end of June or early July 2012 at the latest. How cool is that? Three novels and a novella in a series released within the first year of the series.

Before I get the classic eye-rolls, the novel is what you expect from me and no, it isn't merely a 50k novella I am passing off as novel either. It is 95k (as of right now but I do add and subtract during the proofing process so it might end up as long as 100k or as short as 90k depending upon how happy Felicia gets in terms of cutting during the editing process...lol)

Don't get too excited gals and fellas as I will be taking a much needed hiatus from this series to focus on some of my other projects. Love Voodoo from DeGeneration should be released before the end of May. Also lined up for the summer/fall-autumn are Hart Attack: Book I in The Hart Family Saga and Apocalypse 2012: Book II from The Plague series. In the winter, I will be releasing The Making of a Star from The Pop Stars series. 

Then, I will get back to what y'all want me to...that is The Vamp Saga, of course, when I will begin writing the fourth book in the series: Dawn of Death. I fear that one might be a magnum opus and could be as long as 120 to 130k in word length as there is a lot going on and I am not sure whether or not I will be able to end it somewhere around my usual page length if I sense a cliffhanger in sight...

Okay, enough gabbing...here is a sneak peak (totally unedited though it has been proofed but I can't guarantee it is perfect) of Queen of the Undead: Book III.

Excerpt from Queen of the Undead
I sat through yet another exhaustive meeting and waited with expectation for it to be over. As Mikkel still had not returned from his “two week” excursion which had begun almost six months ago, Idallys had been filling in for him so we had a full Council of twenty.

I should have been looking for guidance as no doubt my father would gladly provide it for me but at the same time I didn’t know exactly what I needed. I was the Queen and I had to conduct these meetings with a sense of decorum and taste. My personal problems were my own and never were they to get in the way of real Council Business. I was to steel myself and overlook any of my own heartache.

Mikkel had begun to send me old fashioned, hand written notes in mid January and to that day, had not missed a week. I suppose these were to insure he was okay as they were definitely in his handwriting.

There were occasions I still worried about him and what had begun as a quick trip had turned into something else entirely.

“Your Majesty, do you have anything to add?” Armand inquired, snapping me out of my contemplative mood.

I sipped from my VA Neg before I questioned, “What were we talking about?”

From the corner of my eye, I could see Chiyoko and Siobhán look at one another before doing an eye roll.

Emmerik cleared his voice. “I was just reporting the latest figures, your Majesty. The virus is spreading and although it hasn’t reached Western Europe or North America, it is only a matter of time. Cases have already been reported in Central and South America just as cases have been reported as far west as Hungary.

“It is imperative I am given an unlimited budget and I need more staff to help find a cure as soon as possible. The Lycan People are definitely in danger of succumbing to this illness, which carries a ninety-five percent mortality rate with werewolves versus a twenty percent mortality rate with humans and less than a one percent mortality rate for Faeries, Demi-feys included.”

“Well, I’m grateful it was only supposition the Demi-feys would be harmed by this virus though I must say that we will do everything in our power from stopping the spread of the virus to the Lycan community. I’m assuming there are members of the Vampire Mercenary Squad with medical training?”

Armand brought up the figures on a laptop in front of him. “Yes. Approximately twenty-five percent are skilled in medicine and science.”

I stood which was a clear message the meeting was to be dismissed shortly. “Bring them here and Emmerik, I trust you can choose the cream of the crop. They will be at your disposal with full pay. This has to come to an end. The IVC will not be blackmailed by GenMods who only care about money and some deranged form of revenge Zahara has worked out in that head of hers.”

“Surely you would want to meet them?”

I stared from Emmerik to my father. “Yes, of course but first allow my father and I some private time first.”


***


It was still so amazing to me.

My father and I had spent over eighteen years apart and even when I knew of him, I had no idea we were related.

Regardless, we’d managed to repair a relationship in six months and were closer now than I’d ever been with the man I assumed was my father.

He was my confidant and regardless what issues I had, I always sought out his council first.

I had no illusions I was the perfect vampire Queen—I was probably one of the worst, bestowed my position not because of my beauty but merely because I was the first and therefore the most powerful. I would never say there was anyone else who would have made a better Queen than I as I knew of no woman but the point was, I felt like I was failing and it was not an emotion I was equipped to handle.

My mortal life had been no picnic and although many of my problems had been caused by me, I was often my own worst enemy by taking one mistake and making it that much worse. I wondered if this is what was going on when it came to my husband’s unexplained absence.

How long would people accept he was on a self-imposed sabbatical? When would the talk turn malicious and cruel; whisperings of me having him murdered or better yet, him tiring of me and he decided to leave me? It made no difference if he was gone one month or one hundred years, we were still married and therefore I could never promise myself to another.

It wasn’t the same kind of lose-lose situation humans found themselves in because I could sleep with as many men and women as I wanted to but I could never declare love for another and this was a definite problem, especially when I was in love with someone other than my husband.

Emmerik.

The torture it had been to see him gracing the halls of the château yet he was unavailable to me. I couldn’t dare sleep with him now that Mikkel was gone. It would seem like more of a betrayal than his loss already felt.

My father immediately sensed my anxiety as soon as he sat down next to me on the sofa in the Salon Bleu. The sitting room was aptly named because everything in the sitting room was various shades of blue. It matched my mood and had become one of my favorite rooms in the château because of the ambience and the soothing feeling I received there. I also felt closest to Mikkel in this room once I found out it had been Adrienne’s favorite room as well.

He slipped an arm around my shoulders and held me close. “My love, what is the matter? You seem very out of sorts and you were distracted the whole meeting. A Queen never shows her minions how she is feeling, not even us on the IVC. We aren’t your equals and therefore we should never be privy to your moods.”

I glared at him with fresh tears in my eyes and realized I should have never worn any shade in the white family today. “Papa, I’m so conflicted and I have been for the longest time now. I don’t understand and I feel so out of sorts. Who is my equal and with whom can I share my deepest darkest secrets?”

He passed me a black Hermès scarf and I wiped my eyes. “Unfortunately, the Queen has no equals and you aren’t any different. However, you can share your deepest fears with Emmerik—”

“Papa, no! I can’t…I can’t be around him; I can’t smile and pretend everything is okay between us when it is not. I love him…my God, I really do. I’m in love with him and for the first time, I can see that although I love Mikkel with all my heart my feelings for Emmerik surpass the emotions I feel for my own husband.”


I hope you all enjoyed the preview as much as I enjoyed sharing it with you! Feel free to leave a comment if you want to add your two cents and don't forget the second novel, Better Off Dead, is already available so grab a copy (though it isn't compulsory). ;-) Until next time, have a wonderful weekend and happy reading!

No comments: